Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Drawing letters


I took a type class in college where the teach made us spend an entire semester hand painting a single word in Helvetica with plaka...it was probably one of the hardest classes I ever had, she was a font Nazi. I think the hardest part was during the class I thought it was completely pointless...turned out it wasn't! I've really been looking at different approaches to lettering...I did the original with a croquil dip pen, on acetate like an animation cel, I liked the slick surface...but dang was it messy and hard to tweak. This page was the first 'talking heads' page I've done since I started this and it was challenging. I've ditched the font computer lettering for hand drawn letters, and I couldn't be happier about the switch. It's definitely more work but it has the character of the orginal...but more legible, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment